Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Bathroom Reno Project

We have noticed for a while that there has been water weeping through the grout on the wall in the shower.  The wall would be wet still even after days away from home.  There was lots of cracks in the grout and these may have appeared when we bought the house and the heat had been turned off and the house was –30C, but there is no way to be sure. 

Here is my daughter in the tub as we prepared to gut the whole thing. 

SAM_0332

Since we are going through the work of replacing the tub surround my wife also wants a new tub that is taller, and we are going to change to the pressure balanced faucet to make it safer for the girls. 
To be able to expedite the work I made sure that I had all of the major components on hand.

The tub surround we purchased from Home Hardware and we got a TW57 79” 1 Piece White Tub wall.  We chose this one for several reasons. The main was that I did not want any water to get in behind it, so a 1 piece was very appealing.  We have a window in the middle of the wall as can be seen in the picture above.  The edges are approximately 13” from the corners so a tub surround that had high shelves or ridges in the polystyrene would be out of the question as we did not want a large opening in the window frame.  And finally the white color matches the new tub.

We purchased the bathtub from RONA it was a “Corinthia II” made by Advanta by Maax.  As mentioned we wanted a taller tub and needed one that was right-side installation.  We also got the overflow kit and accessories from RONA.  The tub it was replacing was a standard size so this was pretty easy change.

The Tub/Shower Handshower we purchased from Home Depot it was the 8P8-PDHC Price Pfister Pasadena Handheld Shower Single Handle Tub and Shower Faucet - Polished Chrome. I really like to have a handshower so that was a priority and my wife wanted it to look pretty so this is what we landed on. 
I will go into more detail on the steps of the project in future posts as well as reviews of the above products that we used.

You can follow the progress in this project by following this link or by clicking on any of the tags.
http://projectsbyben.blogspot.ca/search/label/bathroom

4 comments:

  1. One thing I do not have is a bathtub here in the condo. Sheesh. Since I am renting here while I write, I won't have a luxurious bath.

    By the way, when I first saw your picture, I thought it was going to be entitled, "Honey, I Shrank Our Kid!"

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Jeremy Thanks for the comment. I guess some of the downside to renting is not being able to make changes. But on the upside you do not have the risk of what is behind the walls that I will post in a couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ben, I realize your post is several years old, but I hope this address is good. I am interested in how you liked the Advanta Maax tub. They have a unique size corner tub, a size no one else carries, but I have seen few positive reviews. Am curious about the acrylic quality and how the tub has done Thanks. Ed

    ReplyDelete
  4. THANKS FOR SHARING SUCH A GREAT WORK
    GOOD CONTENT!!
    turnstile gates dubai

    ReplyDelete