Monday, April 2, 2012

B is for Black & Decker

B is for Black & Decker


I have had or used many Black & Decker tools over the number of years.  For my formative years my Father had a corded 3/8” B&D drill that we used a lot.  To keep from losing the key to the chuck my Father taped it to the cord.  Later, when we moved to the farm I bought him a ½” drill for Father’s Day and he still uses that. 

When I moved away to go to University, I was given a B&D cordless tool set by my in-laws for Christmas.  It is the package that is pictured above.  Here is my brief review of it.  It comes with an 18V drill, flashlight, reciprocating saw, circular saw, 2 batteries, and a charger.

The 18V drill, I use all the time.  It has an adjustable torque setting that I am beginning to use all the time as well, plus the trigger is variable.  It has plenty of power and you can use it for along time.  It is a keyless 3/8” chuck which makes changing out bits really easy.  The only think maybe bad to say is that it is not balanced really well.  But for the hobbiest/odd job guy it is not an issue.

The flashlight is very bright and sits very well on the battery.  It isn’t balanced well, the head is not adjustable, so unless your work is 8-10” off the work surface you will be working in the shadows.

The circular saw is a waste of space.  I have tried using it on numerous occasions and about a foot into a cut it would power out.  Also it was a pig on the battery and go through them really quickly.  This was on numerous different board products ranging from ¼” hardboard to ¾” birch Good One Side plywood.

I have only used the reciprocating saw a few times and I don’t have any issues with it. 

The charger is small and works, it is not very fast, but I have no issues with it. 

Overall this is a pretty good set for the DIY guy.

Good luck and happy working. 

If you like what you have read, please subscribe to the blog, or follow me on twitter at @bjshideler.

No comments:

Post a Comment