Monday, April 30, 2012

Z is for Zero


Z is for Zero

In discussion with some colleagues at work on today’s topic on zero they said that I should have a bit where the limit of the function tends to zero.  Being that I generally do not discuss calculus on the blog generally and that limits are not my favourite thing to talk about I will defer that topic for the time being.

A zero is an important concept in building something. It is also known as a datum.  This is the point in which to measure everything off of, and therefore all cuts and work are from it.  I typically have two types of measurement errors, the first is where I just make a mistake and the second is where I take a measurement off of another cut without double checking to make sure the measurement chain works out.  Sometimes it is as simple as I did not account for the width of the blade in the cut.  Other times I was just not careful in the math to work out the chain.

On lumber typically the most accurate sides to take measurements off of are mill cuts or the factory cuts.  They are usually identified either with some paint or they have writing on them.  You know that the cuts are parallel and perpendicular to the work so that your other cuts have a chance at being so too. 

When machining you will take your metal stock and make a zero by facing off the stock so that it is also flat, parallel and perpendicular to the work surface.  From this surface all of the measurements are worked off from there. 

I have made these mistakes on my personal projects and whenever I get a drawing that has a dimension that comes from nowhere I tend to ask a lot of questions about it, or try to work through the measurement chain to see if the measurement is correct.

Please share some of your measurement adventures in the comments section below.  

If you like what you have read, please subscribe to the blog, or follow me on twitter at @bjshideler. Also, share this post with your friends on your favorite social media sites.

No comments:

Post a Comment