Wednesday, April 4, 2012

E is for Electrical


E is for Electrical

There are two ways in which I could take this post, well I am sure there are many ways , but the two I see is that I could talk about 120V A/C mains or low voltage 12V DC.  I am the most comfortable with 12V DC as I feel it is the least likely to harm me.  Though that low voltage could kill, I am never too worried.  I am getting more comfortable with 120V A/C main power as I have changed all the plugs and switches in the house last year.  I have also changed a few exterior light fixtures.  I am going to give some of my rules for working with electrical that I use to keep me safe and whatever I am working on from going up in smoke.  Now I am not a certified electrician so these are by no means complete.

Match the same colors to the same colors.  This is one industry where color definitely matter what you use.  In AC main power black is hot; white is neutral and green is ground.  Whereas in the DC power black is ground and red is hot.  Don’t cross the different colors or change the colors at all in AC power as there are code considerations.

Shut off the power.  There are trained electricians that will work with live power, but I am not trained, and those types of electricians are typically linemen that work on the high voltage lines that carry power around the grid.  There is just too much risk for me to shorting out the power and frying myself, so it is easy to shut of the breaker, turn off the switch or unplug the battery.

Don’t be path to ground. This rule is basically the reason for all the others.  All electricity wants to get to ground and it will flow through the easiest path to get there.  People conduct electricity very well as we are bioelectric organisms.  This is why a very small voltage or current that flows across the heart can kill you as it takes a very small amount to disrupt the electrical signal it gets from your brain.  Along with working with the power off, try not to work with both hands so that the power can flow right through your heart.  You are best off to work with your right hand as your heart is on the left side of the body. 

Cover all bare wires.  You don’t want the bare wires to arc across each other and spark and start a fire, or if someone was to work on it after you to put their hand in their and get shocked so it is best to have all the bare wires covered.  If you are connecting main power wires, then using marettes will cover the bare wire ends.  With low voltage applications then using black electrical tape is a good option to use.  If it is going to be out in the weather or sun make sure you use a product that is rated for those applications so that it will last a while.

Everything is just a circuit.  One of the reasons I like electrical work is that it is clean, but the other is that everything is just a circuit.  There is some power source either AC or DC, some wire to something that will use the power like a light or a motor, and then returns back to the power source.  As long as the circuit is intact then it should work. 

I hope that this gives you some courage to tackle your next electrical job.  If you like what you have read, please subscribe to the blog, or follow me on twitter at @bjshidelerAlso, don't be afraid to share this with your friends on your favorite social media sites.

2 comments:

  1. Basics I really need to keep track of---thanks for sharing.

    --Damyanti, Co-host A to Z Challenge April 2012

    Twitter: @AprilA2Z
    #atozchallenge

    PS: pls turn off your word verification to make it easier to comment---you might consider comment moderation instead if you're unsure :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Damyanti, No problem. Thanks for the tip, I have already taken that setting off now.

    ReplyDelete