Monday, April 23, 2012

T is for Tools

T is for Tools

Any time I begin a new project I like to go and get a new tool for it, which frustrates my wife to no end.  She does not like to spend money on things and she sees tools as a sunk cost with no added value to the project.  This is further aggravated if she does not really approve of the project in the first place. 

I however see tools as a good investment, by having tools I can perform more functions in the future if the need ever arises.  They also allow me to work faster and safer.  I have mentioned on previous posts of how this is the case.  For example on my post about my lawn mower that I was sharpening last year, I wasted a lot of time trying to get the snap ring off as well as I also almost puncture my hand several times with normal pliers before I got the proper tool. If you use the wrong tool for the job, there is a high likelihood that you will damage that tool by using it improperly. 

When I go and select a tool to buy I usually approach it from one of two perspectives.  Either I want that tool for repeated use and for a number of years or I have a one off tool for a specialty task that I do not perform very often.  For the first case I will spend the money and get a quality tool, now I do think you get what you pay for to a point.  I don't think the most expensive tool is necessarily better than one just above the middle of the pack.  If it is a one off tool then I will tend to get the cheapest tool to finish the job.

Share some of your stories about your tools below in the comments.

If you like what you have read, please subscribe to the blog, or follow me on twitter at @bjshideler. Also, share this post with your friends on your favorite social media sites.

No comments:

Post a Comment