Sunday, April 15, 2012

M is for Makita


M is for Makita

Well I thought that I could do another review for this letter.  On the construction sites that I work on Makita is the favourite among them.  They generally tend to last and are well built.  We have several circular saws (5007) and they definitely stand up to the rigors of construction. 



Last year I got a Makita LS1017L 10-Inch Dual Slide Compound Miter Saw with Laser on it from the orange store.  I am pretty sure this is equivalent to the LS1016L south of the border.  It was on sale and came with a stand.  I have been very impressed by it and use it for the various projects that I undertake with wood projects. 

Some of the critiques that I have of it are the laser.  To me a laser is fairly gimmicky, it is aligned to cut with the center of the blade, which is good I guess if you want to split a piece of lumber in half, but I was taught that you measure to the edge of the blade so that the piece you cut is exactly the measurement that you want.

The little wings that come out to support material are not long enough to support any dimensional lumber.  And the stand that I got that came with it is just a stand for the saw with no material supports.  I am pretty sure that it will work with other Makita tools as there are several different holes in it that do not go into the saw.  The stand is easy to set up, but there is no support for long pieces.  So I need to make something so that I can cut up some dimensional lumber easier.

Overall this is a very capable saw and would recommend it to anyone that needed or let’s face it, just plain wants it.  If you like what you have read, please subscribe to the blog, or follow me on twitter at @bjshideler. Also, don't be afraid to share this with your friends on your favorite social media sites.


No comments:

Post a Comment