Wednesday, April 25, 2012

V is for Vehicle Maintenance


V is for Vehicle Maintenance

When I was about 13 years old my Dad said to me that because I was going to be driving soon, I needed to learn how to change the oil on the vehicles.  In Alberta Canada you can begin driving with a fully licensed driver as a learner when you are 14 years old.  At this point in time we only had 3 vehicles.  Dad had his truck, mom had hers and there was the farm truck.  This began my work on vehicle maintenance.  During the peak of my teen years there were 7 vehicles at the house for my sister, myself and my parents.  I had plenty of opportunity to work on them.  We did not have a fully equipped garage, but we had basic tools so we did basic work.  There was plenty of opportunity to change oil and other filters.  After high school I worked out of town and commuted at least 130km per day so I was changing oil every 5-6 weeks (5000km) and I got really fast at it too.  My friend was over one day and he had worked in lube shop and he was impressed at how quick I was able to change the oil in my car (less than 20 minutes). 

During high school I worked at both Home Hardware and NAPA Auto Parts and I learned that with older cars vehicle maintenance it is very important to do regular oil changes.  It is probably the single most important thing to do.  I found a number of additives that helped out with the performance of my car.  We sold and recommended the Lucas Oil line of products; they are what I use even to this day.  I put the fuel additive into my vehicle the other day and I got a 12% gain in fuel efficiency. 

We have just purchased an older vehicle for my wife (2001 PT Cruiser) and it has some basic work that needs to be done.  I am thankful that I am able and knowledgeable to perform that work rather than pay someone $120/hr to do it.  So soon we will change out some signal lights, change the oil, change the battery, and change the air filter and some other work.  When we get to that work I will take some photos and post on that process.

Share with group some of the maintenance that you do on your vehicles.

If you like what you have read, please subscribe to the blog, or follow me on twitter at @bjshideler. Also, share this post with your friends on your favorite social media sites.

No comments:

Post a Comment