Wednesday, April 25, 2012

W is for Waste Removal


W is for Waste Removal

As with any project there is always waste that is created.  Typically there is some packaging that will come with the material or tools purchased for the project.  The other option is generated from cutting operations, like saw dust, metal filings, or wire casing. 

On a small project I typically just clean up at the end of the job, but the bigger the job gets the more planning of cleaning or dealing with waste as you go needs to occur.  This could include setting the saw up in a place that is not in the flow of traffic that saw dust can accumulate or having a waste bin nearby so that packaging can get disposed of right away.  I just purchased a new BBQ and I had Abbi, my daughter, putting all the packaging into a garbage bag as we were on the deck outside and I did not want it to be blowing all over the place.

Another thing to think about is that having a clean site promotes safety.  You can find your tools and you will less likely trip over stuff and get hurt.

Share some of your thoughts down in the comments section.

If you like what you have read, please subscribe to the blog, or follow me on twitter at @bjshideler. Also, share this post with your friends on your favorite social media sites.


2 comments:

  1. Any time there was a project at our house, my dad never picked up. To this day I find myself in the role of waste management engineer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Bethie - that seems to be how it is. It is a good job for kids. It keeps them mostly out of trouble.

    ReplyDelete