Tuesday, April 10, 2012

I is for Ideas

I is for Ideas

Where do I get the ideas for my projects?  What is the inspiration for work?  Where do I get the information that I need to complete work?

For starters, you may have guessed that I have a lot of hobbies and interests, also I am homeowner, and I like to get out in the outdoors.  I am also frugal, not as much as my wife, but I do not like to spend money on things that I can do myself.  I guess that makes me independent. So necessity dictates a lot of the projects that I do.  I hate make work projects, so there has to be a benefit for me to spend the time and effort into working on the project.

I have not had a lot of artistic projects or projects with artistic elements in them yet, but there are some wood working projects that I would like to do that have some more aesthetic elements in them.  My inspiration for things is as varied as my hobbies, but I have difficulty to create them as my artisan skills are limited.  I enjoy religious symbols from many religions, medieval Europe, feudal Japan, Spanish design, electronics and futuristic modernism, so it all depends on what I want the space to become. 

I also gather information from a variety of sources.  This goes back to some of the other posts that I have published so far.  I tap into the resources of the communities that I am apart of.  Working in construction I deal with a lot of tradesman and I am in a position to be able to talk with them and ask them questions on how to complete certain work.  I also will search on the internet for answers and how to do it, and look on YouTube for the answers.  There are lots of forums out there on every topic, from woodworking to home metal shops.  Depending on how focused you are and how much you want to be involved in their communities then you will be able to get better answers out of people.  This is because they want to invest in other people in their community not just transients that are passing through their digital town.

The ability to do anything you want is with you, the information that you want is out there.  It is just needs to be sought after and asked for.  Please join my community as I go through some of my projects that we both may learn together by subscribing to my blog or following me on twitter at @bjshideler.  Also, don't be afraid to share this with your friends on your favorite social media sites so that we can cast the net out to those that are also interested.

2 comments:

  1. Ideas are exciting. I love ideas. Some days they flow and I feel so productive, other times it's just a blank wall.

    Nice to meet you, and I hope you're enjoying the Challenge!

    KarenG
    A to Z Challenge Host

    ReplyDelete
  2. @KarenG - Yes ideas are so much fun. I am enjoying the challenge and the motivation to post everyday on something.

    @Sylvia - Welcome to the blog, thanks for subscribing.

    ReplyDelete