Thursday, April 12, 2012

K is for Knife

K is for Knife

I really enjoy knives. I have several knives and there are some more that I would like to add to my collection.  Typically I carry three blades with me on any given day.  I have a folding EAB (exchange a blade) knife from Stanley, which gets used for all sorts of stuff at work.  I carry a folding lock blade knife that I got really cheap at co-op an number of years ago, I also carry an original Leatherman that has a really sharp knife that barely gets used.  Being in a project management position it is really funny to see the looks on the faces of my tradesmen when they are looking for a knife and I pull one out of my pocket and hand it to them.  Well, they are sort of surprised, but because I interact with them and talk to them they know that I am well grounded in the project. 

I have had a knife since I was very young.  My neighbours, who were migrant workers from Mexico, gave me my first knife when I was about 6.  It was a little folding knife that had a colourful handle.  I really loved it, I brought it to school for show and tell and I got in trouble for that, I never thought that it would be a bad thing to bring.  I have had a few more knives over the years. 

During high school I would have my buck knife in my pocket because I would feed cows in the morning, or I would have a little disposable box cutter knife as I would be going off to work at the hardware store after school.  Being from a rural community in my mind it was not that abnormal to carry a knife around with you at school.  During my summers I always had my Leatherman on my belt.  It was surprising how frequently in my day that I would use my knife for something. 

I do not think of a knife as a weapon, but rather as a tool.  Not while I attended school to my knowledge was there any altercation involving a knife either at school or in town.  Whenever I have a project I make sure that I have my knife with me, usually it is to open some sort of packaging, score a piece of material, or pry a small screw out of somewhere it has fallen.

Kids should be given knives to learn how to use safely.  I have a four year old and we are starting to let her use a butter knife at the table, slowly that will turn into a steak knife,  it will then lead to cutting things in the kitchen, and using a knife to make shavings for a campfire.  I make sure my sharp knives are sharp as dull knife is really dangerous.  There are several people out on the internet that advocate teaching knife skills to kids.  And why not? As parents it is our job to mentor the next generation by teaching them skills for life, so why should we hinder them by not teaching things sooner rather than later.  Back in the 1800’s people learned these skills at a young age and were venturing out on their own in their late teens.  So if they are able to learn them so is the current generation.

Anyways, share in the comments on how you teach kids to use a knife safely, as I am always looking for tips and tricks.  If you like what you have read, please subscribe to the blog, or follow me on twitter at @bjshideler.  Also, don't be afraid to share this with your friends on your favorite social media sites.

3 comments:

  1. I like this K! I love knives too. Was also given my first one when I was about 6 or 7. I'm trying to visit all the A-Z Challenge Blogs this month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know what I would do without my Leatherman. That rascal has come in so handy over the years.

    I had a knife collection years ago. It wasn't very big, but I liked it nevertheless. A frind of mine worked at Buck in El Cajon, California, and he made a custom made 5' blade for me.

    Yes, teaching kids how to use a knife is important, as they are tools to make outr lives easier.

    By the way, have you ever had a throwing knife? They are cool but I never practiced enough to be adept at the art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @sharkbytes - Thanks for stopping by.

    @Jeremy - I have not had a throwing knife, my friend did growing up, and I did trying throwing them, I was never very good.

    ReplyDelete