Sunday, April 1, 2012

A is for Amateur Radio

I should start out that this is the kick off post for the April A to Z blogging challenge.  I guess A is for Amateur Radio.

Well, for projects Amateur Radio definitely can be a source for many projects, and some of my most popular blog posts have to do with my radio projects.



Here is my current ham shack.  For those that are unfamiliar with what that is, it is the location where my amatuer radios (ham radios) are located.  It is in my basement along one wall.  Currently my HF(high frequency) station is not working as I have some trouble with my antenna that I need to trouble shoot.  My HF radio is the Yaesu FT-450 (it is the big one on the bottom). On top of that is a borrowed IC-28 and in front of that is my handheld FT-530.  The computer is a Pentium D I think, it was given to me and I installed Linux onto it.  I plan on using it for digital communications when my HF station is on the air. 

This hobby is very vast in breadth and scope of interest. If you like to build electronic circuits, or antennas, work with computers, talk with people all over the world, communicate from a vehicle or in times of emergency it is all covered.

I have some online resources that I use when I am looking for stuff.


When I need to find a repeater I look at the Repeaterbook.com site.  It used to be called NWHam but was renamed a little while ago.  


Here are a few major repositories of information

http://www.ac6v.com/
http://www.qsl.net/w2vtm/hamactivities.html

If you are interested in mobile operation (operating from a vehicle) the go to guy online is K0BG at his website.

EHam is the best place for finding reviews for equipment.

Now probably one of the most valuable assets of any hobby is that the community that forms around it.

One of the biggest online ham communities is called QRZ and a lot of hams put up profiles there.  My profile can be looked up on the site with my callsign VA6KAZ. 

Along with the online community there plenty of local clubs around the world.  Some of the clubs that exist in my area are:
FARS
This is the Foothils Amateur Radio Association and they operate the main repeater network for Southern Alberta.  They are a great group of guys and very knowledgeable about the hobby.

CARA
This is the Calgary Amateur Radio Association and operate a large DX contest station and some repeaters in the area

Mercury Alberta
The Mercury group is only a few years old and is comprised of a bunch of LDS radio operators that are concerned with EMCOMM.

SARA
This is Southern Alberata Repeater Association operates the provincial repeater link network.  They have a few key repeaters that are the backbone that link into other groups repeaters when connected like the FARS group above.

Well I hope that you have enjoyed my brief look at Amateur radio.  If you like what you have read, please subscribe to the blog, or follow me on twitter at @bjshideler

In the traditional amateur radio closing.
73s

4 comments:

  1. That's a whole load of interesting info--I'll turn you if I need to research a story.
    Look forward to your challenge posts!

    Twitter: @AprilA2Z
    #atozchallenge

    ---Damyanti, Co-host A to Z Challenge April 2012

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a really cool post - thank you for sharing. I like the idea of a blog that gives us projects from A to Z - I found you through the A to Z Challenge and will definitely be stopping back in through the month!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks @loverofwords and @Damyanti.

    @Susan I like my blog being on my projects, the problem is that sometimes my projects get a little interrupted with life, so sometimes I have a gap between posts that I don't like. There should be some good ones coming out during the month.

    ReplyDelete