Friday, April 13, 2012

L is for Leather

L is for Leather

When I told my wife that today’s topic was leather, she smiled and said that either today will be really exciting or a really boring topic.   I said that this was a family rated blog.  About twenty years ago my Dad got a basic leather kit from Tandy Leather for Christmas.  It was really cool; it had a swivel knife, half dozen stamps to make the various patterns, and some starter projects.  My dad made a wallet and a belt out of the projects, and after he had made one I wanted to make one too.  There was still a billfold project left to make so I got to make that one.  The carving and stamping were not perfect but I learned a few things.  Now a kid does not have much use for a wallet, but once I was 14 I carried that wallet with me every day as I had my learner’s permit with me in case I was with my dad and I could drive somewhere.  I have carried it with me pretty much every day since then.  I still have it but the liner is starting to tear away from the outer and it is time to make a new one, as I have never found a commercial wallet that I really like. 

A few years ago now I got a basic leather kit for Christmas, so I have no excuse for not sitting down and carving out a new wallet.  I also picked up a pattern and a blank to make a belt, as my belt that I have right now is starting to wear out.  I have had it for about 7 years.  Now is the time to buckle down and quit making excuses and make some leather projects.  I am a little hesitant as this will be more of an artistic endeavour than some of my other projects and I have not yet mustered up the creative courage to embark.  This is probably partly due to my wife and her family that are very artistic and I know that I cannot compete in their world.  I just need to get over it I guess.

Well anyways, if you have worked with leather, share some of your projects or tips and tricks that we all may learn.  If you like what you have read, please subscribe to the blog, or follow me on twitter at @bjshideler. Also, don't be afraid to share this with your friends on your favorite social media sites.

3 comments:

  1. I don't work that much with leather. A little. I bought some thin leather beading 'thread' and plan to braid and bead a necklace with leather, using glass beads or semi-precious stones and possibly a silver clasp.

    There is so much that you can make with leather together with other materials. I have a friend who combined leather and wood when making furniture.

    Nice post for 'L'.

    Best wishes,
    Anna
    Anna's A-Z, the letter M

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Misha - I have not made one yet

    @Anna - There is piece of furniture that I want to make that would be cool if it had some carved leather panels in it.

    ReplyDelete